CASE STUDY: Messier Services UK
The client refurbishes aircraft components to high standard and tight deadline and recently approached MPN to discuss the viability of the replacement of their outdated switchgear. The oil filled switchgear dated from the 1950’s and filled the entire back wall of an 8m long switch room.
MPN were contracted to advise on the removal of three existing 500KVA transformers and replace with one 2000KVA low loss unit which would provide them with future capacity whilst saving energy.
The works would involve:
- Concrete transformer base
- HV cable loop
- Substation earth nest
- LV transformer tails
- HV protection grading
- Installation of 2MVA transformer
- Installation of GRP enclosure
- Installation of modular 3200A LV panel
- Re-termination and jointing of existing LV cables over two weekend shutdowns to minimise site inconvenience.
- Installation of Power Factor Correction equipment.
- Removal and scrapping of transformers and switchgear.
- Full commissioning of new equipment
The project spanned several weeks of planning and consultation with the client and this has resulted in being involved with the customers’ latest project which will entail connection of a Combined Heat & Power unit to the new LV panel.
Testimonial from the Client:
Just a brief word to thank you and your team for the sterling work you managed ….which has ensured a seamless implementation of the work especially over the past two weekends to facilitate the transformer upgrade and LV panel connections. The work was implemented as planned, minimising disruption to the site production schedule, which is important to us. Thanks also for your support over the power restoration which is always a tricky part.
Keep up the good work.
New LV Panel